Saturday, January 17, 2009

Give a Stranger a Coke Day

On Wednesday I left my class with an assignment to buy a stranger a coke, or a drink, or anything. So it took me a while to decide the what and where and who, but then on Friday night, it all worked out. I was in line to buy some stuff from Target with my roommate, Jo. I decided that the next person to choose checkout number 9 as their checkout was going to be the lucky winner. I grabbed a snickers bar and put it in my pile of things. Luckily, all went as planned because someone got in line after me. I bought the snickers bar and asked the cashier to hold on to it and give it to the sad lonely man behind me. She was a little confused about what I just asked her to do, but after I repeated myself three times and rephrased myself twice, she understood what was fate that night. Jo and I finished checking out, and took our positions far away from the register by the food court. I watched as the man was told by the cashier someone had bought the snickers bar and it was all his. Either that man got really happy because of it, or the cashier beefed up the story. Whatever happened, that man was a little bit more satisfied with life on Friday night and so was I.

No comments:

Post a Comment